Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Three Second Rule


(Above: Laughing, too? Statue by Yue Minjun.)

This is just a wee bit creepy. Apparently, science (SCIENCE!) has shown that human beings do almost everything in three-second bursts. Hugs generally last three seconds. Goodbye waves last three seconds. Each of a baby's babbles lasts for an average of three seconds.

Life, it seems, may be a series of three-second windows. And we're not the only creatures who obey this rule. So do giraffes, pandas, and kangaroos.

Read more here. But I think we're gonna need to test this.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's. . . .weird.
btw, the london pictures are pretty cool-now that i think about it, they kinda remind me of vivian maier's work, or at least some of it, anyways. . . .

Ari the Awesome said...

Woah! That's so weird. Everytime I get a hug I'm going to notice how long it lasts.

General Okato said...

Please preview my comment in (Lies,Lies, Lies!)

Anonymous said...

So I'm sitting here, alone at home; sick and bored.
I come to your website for a little entertainment (that's always delivered) and see this.
I love it! :D For three minutes straight I was seeing how many seconds it took for me to do things, ex. swallowing water, sighing, chewing food. Random stuff.
Your blog is always amusing and full of fun facts.

Anonymous said...

there's a statue like that kinda near where i live, around Stanley Park i think.

Some Lost Melody said...

LMAO those statues are hilarious xDDD

brave chickens said...

Is it the three second or five second rule if you drop food on the ground? Not related, but that's the first thing that popped into my head upon seeing this post's title.

btw it's a good theory to test for extra credit assignments or for psychology (human behaviour) classes.

Elizabeth said...

Hmm... I'm going to end up counting hugs and waves. Haha!

Toodles*** said...

Haha awesome

Anonymous said...

haven't you ever heard the saying that things happen in threes?