Saturday, November 24, 2007

New York's Hidden Houses








(Photos by Marilynn K. Yee for The New York Times)

The New York Times has an interesting story this weekend about some of New York's hidden houses. Among those profiled in the article are the two shown above.

"A gate stands in between two town houses that front on King Street. Beyond the gate is another one, and a tunnel that extends the depth of the town house. But what no one peering through that first gate could possibly see is that the tunnel opens up onto a lushly landscaped courtyard and two carriage houses that, like the town houses, were built in the 1830s."

I'm horrified to admit that I lived less than a block away from these buildings for four years--and I never knew they were there!

Check out the article here, which also features one of the most charming spots in all of Manhattan, Pomander Walk.

9 comments:

Spring said...

Cool!

udon't need2knowmyname said...

wow. I wish i lived in one of those! That be a great place to hide out!

International Mastermind said...

You never realized that you lived a BLOCK AWAY from them?

YOU, Ananka, the girl detective?

How terrible.

ananka said...

Ha. It was before my girl detective days--back when I was just an honest civilian.

udon't need2knowmyname said...

were you ever an honest civilian,ananka? I am dubious... lol:)

theatre said...

oh how i wish i lived in new york

EJR said...

That just goes to show that hidden things are all around us right under our noses!

You should find out waht kind of neighbors live there, they might be as secretive as the house!

Jin Ai Y. said...

Oh, cool; I saw that article in the NYT as well. I wanted to save it because it reminded me of the book, haha. [unfortunately, my parents accidentally threw it out before I could clip out the article :S]
Tsk, tsk...you live just a BLOCK away?!
Oh well, thanks for mentioning that. *goes off to find out where Kirsten Miller lives*

PS: By the way, I'm the one who's been messaging you on facebook, as Jin Ai-I asked about Naomi being the lock picker!

ananka said...

Hi Jin Ai,

Oh I knew who you were the second I saw your name. (I may not be able to spot hidden houses, but I do remember names now and then.)

I used to live near them. But now I live about a dozen blocks away. (You decide which direction. heh, heh.)

You know you can probably still cut and paste that article from the Times online. There's also a pretty cool hidden house in the courtyard of a restaurant called Palma on Cornelia Street, if you're ever in the neighborhood.