Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!





Believe it or not, wild turkeys are regularly spotted throughout Manhattan. They stop for naps on 28th story balconies, roost inside garages in Greenwich Village, and strut through Morningside Heights.

Even more surprisingly, a couple of them have managed to live in our parks for years without getting captured and consumed. The most famous is Zelda, who spends her days in Battery Park, at the southern tip of the island. (When she isn't wandering through the streets, trying to pass as an enormous pigeon.)

Fortunately for Zelda, hunting turkeys is illegal in the city. But then again, I'm not sure how many New Yorkers would recognize a turkey that wasn't accompanied by a side of gravy.

Read more here and here.

(Below: The legendary Zelda. What a ham. Photo by Lorenzo Ciniglio.)


13 comments:

Spring said...

Hmmmmmmmm....

Were you at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, Ananka? I watched it on TV...

imastermind (too tired to login!) said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Ananka!

Nellie said...

You are SO LUCKY. Wild turkeys?!?!

Patsee said...

What can I say? Turkeys own all. We don't have turkeys in Chicago.

Nellie said...

I showed the first picture to my sister, saying "Wouldn't you like to eat that?" She said:
"Is that a pigeon?"

lol

Anonymous said...

wondering if they have been spotted in the shadow city???
woulden't we all like to know?

Lena said...

Wild Turkies are MUCH smarter than tamed ones, by the way! So maybe they are smart enough to love big tall buildings and such!

Hazel said...

I have NEVER seen a wild turkey, even on vacation in the woods.
I've read that hawks and birds like that live in cities, because the skyscrapers are like cliffs and stuff. I wonder if pigeons taste good?

Spring said...

I've never seen a wild turkey either. John and my mom have seen one at this school though... all these kids pointing at the turkey John says.

theatre said...

thats odd. my completelly derogatory commenting, gotta love it. Happy (belated) Turkey day everyone!

ananka said...

Spring: Yes, I was part of the crew for the Hello Kitty balloon. (JK)

Patsee: Maybe not, but you have coyotes.

Anonymous: Do you think a turkey could make it past the rats?

Nellie: Very funny.

Hazel: I've never eaten a pigeon. But lots of people do. They just choose to call them squab.

infamous said...

My sister is to tired with flew (the real throw up, no one can come into your bedroom for like ever type!) to post so I am her and me. We are talking via e-mail, paper-air-planes and coded giberish. She says Happy Turkey Day! I say, why in the world would you want to eat a bird?!

-wild


Ps this is infamous

ananka said...

Tell Wild to get better!