Tuesday, October 14, 2008

History Made Interesting





Why don't more people enjoy learning about history? Here's my theory: Because the people who write history books focus on the most boring parts. As a result, many of us leave school thinking history is just a list of kings, battles, and treaties. But if taught correctly, history is a fascinating soap opera--filled with villains, madmen, and femme fatales.

I just read about a wonderful organization that shares my views on this subject. The Clampers are a group devoted to introducing people to the "real" history of America. Over the years, they've traveled the countryside dressed in matching red shirts, erecting over 1,000 historical plaques. Their motto? “Credo Quia Absurdum,” which roughly translates as “believe because it is absurd.”

Unlike those put up by state authorities, the Clampers' historical plaques don't focus on "rich old men's history." Instead, they commemorate saber tooth tigers, upside-down houses, escaped convicts, and Moose Milk (don't ask).

I love this idea. Every city and town has a secret, fascinating history that few people know about. Unfortunately, the Clampers don't accept women in their organization. (Can you believe!) So I call upon those of us who are of the female persuasion to start our own secret society!

Read more about the Clampers--and explore an awesome interactive map--here.




(Marking the grave of an unknown gold prospector. Photo by Jim Wilson for the New York Times.)

12 comments:

Thumb Biter said...

grrr no women? D:<
Sounds cool, though 8D Schools should teach Ananka's kind of history.

PeaceReaper said...

Okay, that is kind of scary! Not the club or anything, the asking the readers of the blog to start a secret society thing. Me and my sister have been working on starting our own all-female secret society for a few weeks now!!! Does anyone else think this is a sign that we must start getting members soon??? I DO! But we still need to do a little more work before we start recruiting.
The weirder thing is that our society was going to focus on the forgotten things in history... and charity work. We're givers. :) So weird. *shivers* :D

Kitty said...

Credo Quia Absurdum

I'll give my Latin teacher that motto *D lolz

Hazel said...

IT'S A SIGN!!!
Can I join?

eternal espionage said...

moose milk?!
haha... sorry, I couldn't help myself ;D

Evil Hench Twins said...

Okay, before we answer any questions about whether someone can join or not, there's something I must know: is there any legal stuff involved in starting a club/society? Like registration or anything? I really don't know and Wikipedia has failed me in that department.
Oh, and when I said "focus on the forgotten things in history" I meant like the language of the hand fan (we have Kirtsen to thank for that).

PeaceReaper & Orchid

Anonymous said...

moose milk...
every year on new years day, i go to a party at my cousin's house and all her family/friends go to party and drink this mixture that we call moose milk
i don't really know what its about but what moose milk were you talking about?

Anonymous said...

Ok, is the contest ovr 2nite or 2morrow nite????

carmela said...

Kristen(!), okay. So I just found out that our scanner's broken(durn) so I just took a picture of my gadgets. They're not that clear so I hope you won't count that as a fault. Anyway, they have discriptions so... I hope that's okay. :D

Undiscovered Universe said...

It's a really good idea and all that... but NO GIRLS? Like, what the heck (I want to use a more expicit word here, but I won't :)
are they thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

liltomboyblue said...

That is **AMAZING**! wow! cool! But I can't believe they don't except women! I say we do, it's a good idea! XD I am ALL FOR THE CLUB!!! I once began something like the irregulars, but it included some boys as well. Unfortunately, one of the key members who was a mechanical geniuos moved. I was SO SAD!!! :'(

Aninnymouse said...

I'll join! Y'know, I could probably find some extremely interesting stuff... >:)