Thursday, December 13, 2007

Stranded in Boston?





I've been in Boston for the past few days, and I'm supposed to go home this afternoon. The only problem? There's a huge snowstorm heading in this direction. So I've started thinking of activities to keep me entertained in case I'm stuck here an extra day or two. I've already identified two unusual buildings that I wouldn't mind visiting. The first doesn't really exist. And the second is said to have been built out of spite.

The photo above shows Boston's Scarlett O'Hara House. Located just off Revere Street, this charming building sits at the end of a short alley. But according to the Celebrate Boston website, there's less to this structure than meets the eye. In fact, the only thing real about it are the flowerpots out front. The house is just a three-dimensional painting created thirty years ago to disguise an unattractive wall.

The building below is known to some as the Spite House. According to legend, the 10-foot wide building was built more than 200 years ago to block a neighbor's view of the harbor. It's amazing how far some people are willing to go to make a point--but I do like the house.

Read more about strange Boston here. And if any of you have additional snow day suggestions, just let me know.


6 comments:

Spring said...

The painting is really good! I did think it was real at first.

Sorry, no suggestions for a possible snow day! It's supposed to snow here, but hasn't. Stupid meteorologists!

Nellie said...

The...the house is a painting? It has forsaken me! (JK)

International Mastermind said...

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!
I just got home from school, IN A BLIZZARD!!! Actually, the blizzard that is heading your way from where I live. (right near Boston)
Also, being stranded in Boston isn't half bad. I always go on Newbury St. w/ my friends. if you need to eat, check out SCOOZI on Newbury-gourmet pizza!
I say that Boston is my NYC!!!

ananka said...

Yeah, I like Boston a lot, too. They say it's America's only "medieval" city. (By which they mean that it was built with little rhyme or reason.) If I'm snowed in, I'll definitely go to SCOOZ, but it looks like I may get a train. (And have to slog through the snow to the station with all of my luggage!)

International Mastermind said...

Aw, poor you! I hope your train is okay, the busses today were stuck in so much traffic- that now, 2 hours after school, some are still not back. I will miss those guys...

Hazel said...

I thought it was real, too.
On the subject of Boston: GO RED SOX!