Wednesday, October 31, 2007

My Favorite Holiday Book




A is for Amy who fell down the stairs.



B is for Basil, assaulted by bears.

Heehee. These are excerpts from Edward Gorey's classic book, "The Gashlycrumb Tinies." I'm not kidding. I love it. Someone gave it to me as a present a long time ago, and I read it whenever I need to cheer myself up. (My favorite? "N is for Neville who died of ennui.") You can read the whole thing here. (In English AND Spanish!)

On the subject of books, the illustrious (and hilarious) International Mastermind has started an amazing "Freaky Book Club" blog. It's devoted to the kind of books that inspire the imagination (and possibly a few goosebumps). So if you're looking for some first-class entertainment (or want to tell everyone about a book that's blown your mind), make sure to visit by clicking here.

3 comments:

International Mastermind said...

"X is for Xerxes devoured by Mice."

Was he in the Shadow City?

Please ENJOYIFY the Freaky blog.
(by freaks for freaks!)

infamous said...

I know one by renowned author Kirsten Miller!

Anonymous said...

wow.