Monday, October 8, 2007

If You Can't Beat Them, Eat Them





Every year, parts of Australia are overrun by brown bogong moths. Now one chef is proposing a novel way to deal with the pests: He's encouraging Australians to eat them.

According to Paul Bruneteau, the moths (which can be gathered from most windowsills this time of year) taste a bit like hazelnut-flavored popcorn. He suggests plucking off their wings and frying them in canola oil--or (get this) putting them in a coffee grinder and sprinkling the powder over pancakes.

Of course if you're feeling a little lazy, you can always just toss a couple straight into your mouth. But try not to go overboard. You'd think something so gross would be good for you. But it seems 3 ounces of moth abdomen have as much fat as a Big Mac (oh, and a little arsenic from all the pesticides they consume.)

Read more here. Bon Appetit!

(Above: Dinner)

7 comments:

international mastermind said...

Oh no! All of that moth-butt is going straight to my hips!!!

Spring said...

If I ever go to Australia this time of year, I've GOT to try some gourmet bogong moths!!! I heard of this one restaurant in California uses edible bugs in the food! (like cockroaches, eeeek!!!)

Ananka said...

OK, it's official. You guys are hilarious.

Alexxis said...

Seaworld sells cricket lollipops... (or used to anyways, haven't been there in a really long time)

theatre said...

personally, I like butterflies, I mean they offer so much more crunch.

Ariana said...

Ha!
We have bugs that are kind of like that where I live. My friend's aunt tought at a school where they had problems with too many of the little kids eating them at recess.

infamous said...

Gag Eating moths thats terible!Kirsten I agree. Oh, I'm rereading the Shadow City and it's amasing what I missed!