Saturday, July 24, 2010

Mexico City's Sewer Divers





Julio Camara (shown above) earns about $500 a month diving into Mexico City's sewage system to make repairs and clear blockages. Spinning pump blades, deadly diseases, and noxious gases are just three of the countless dangers he faces each day. And there's always a chance he'll come face-to-face with a cadaver. Maybe it is the world's worst job. But Julio claims he loves every minute of it. And I think he's awesome.

Read more here.

If you have a REALLY strong stomach, (and I mean really strong), here's a short National Geographic video.

6 comments:

montana irregulars said...

By the way, do you have a date for when darkness dwellers will be out??

montana irregulars said...

I'm not sure I'd do that for $500 a month, try $500,000

The Golden Eagle said...

Yeah, I'd demand more pay if I did that. :P

Reel Dancer said...

that just replaced porta-potty cleaner on the bottom of my "what I want to be when I grow up" list. Also, happy late 24th for you Utahans and Mormons out there!

Al Fonzo said...

That would be AWESOME!!!!

MushroomCloud said...

Well, an aptitude test told me I was going to clean sewers when I grew up. Honestly.