Wednesday, June 21, 2006

If You Want to Win, Wear Red

A recent study by British scientists has revealed a fascinating fact. In sports, wearing the color red can give you a distinct advantage. The study clearly showed that when two teams or opponents are equally skilled, those in red athletic gear are more likely to win.

No one knows exactly why the color has this amazing effect, but the powers of red have long been recognized by a wide range of people, including bullfighters, feng shui masters, politicians, and the people who design stop signs. For centuries, it has been the color of power, passion, and danger. It’s even been scientifically shown to grab people’s attention, make their hearts beat faster and their blood pressure rise. Oddly enough, the color red is also known to make people hungry. (Think of it—how many fast food restaurants and junk food brands have red logos?)

So the next time you’re competing for something—whether it’s attention or a trophy—try adding a little red to your wardrobe. It couldn’t hurt. (After all, that’s why presidents wear red ties, certain street gangs love red bandannas, and most female villains sport huge ruby rings.)

For more information on the history and powers of the color red, click here.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's very interesting. It's odd to think how colors affect so many things in our lives.... (I should propose red as the new color of my team's Ultimate Frisbee jerseys!)

CosimaCat said...

From the information on this, while picking out a neclace with a colored liquid-filled pendant, I got red. Couldn't hurt, could it?

Anonymous said...

I don't know if it works, but I think the effects are partly due to the fact that red is an eye-catching color. Red is generally associated with anger, fear, war, and love, according to a survey taken in a seventh grade english class

CosimaCat said...

Hmm... In my old school the political party called "red" won every year, no matter who was in it. I wonder if this'll work in my new school?

ginnywealey007 said...

hola hi como esta buen malo asiasi ! hi just practicing my spansh:) look at this cool face!

-IOI-IOl-
U

kafkadreams said...

ok, but what about the British back in the Revolutionary War? they were famous for wearing red, but they still lost. maybe it only works for athletics...

KilaKila said...

Thats so cool how the colour red has influenced our lives! I just realized that the last math test I had (aced it), I was wearing a red shirt! Freaky...

Anonymous said...

That's very interesting but it doesn't always work, like in football at a school where the red team lost 2 to 1. But in basketball, the red team won by alot! Wonder why...

Ichigo said...

Wow! I myself don't really like red (I look better in greens and blues), but I might start wearing red stuff!

Poptart (Laurel) said...

The British almost won tho.
Any way I think this is is pretty cool. Red always does seem to be a really powerful color.

storm163 said...

Seriously? Whack.

Anonymous said...

Cool. I should wear red more often.

Anonymous said...

I think that wearing the color red does help, whether it's because it's a distraction, it creates anger or fear, etc. However, I don't think that just because you wear red means that you'll win; it might help, but ti's not the only important thing.

Anonymous said...

Very true . And ineresting ( no wonder why the red team won and I lost ) .

BlackCat said...

i think its cool b/c red is also supposedly the color that is the most annoying for the human eye. it sure is that way for me, anyway.

Anonymous said...

Red? Hum.............. it makes sence to me!

Sienna said...

I think it's more of a mindset thing. Sure, maybe there have been a few instances of this happening and researchers took it as fact because after this information was released to the public, people took it to heart. They believed that if they wore red, they would be more likely to succeed and so they did. It's all about how you look at things.