Thursday, September 10, 2009

Goodbye, Summer Odors



Last week, the New York Times website featured one of the coolest maps I've ever come across. (And you KNOW how I feel about maps!) It's an interactive exploration of Manhattan's summer smells.

If you've read Kiki Strike, then you're probably familiar with some of New York's less appealing summer scents. (If not, spare yourself and don't ask.) But this map by Jason Logan charts the good (orange blossoms and hot dogs) and the not-so-good (dog poo and heavy cologne) neighborhood by neighborhood.

Take a look here. I love the idea of different kinds of explorations and different kinds of maps!

11 comments:

Gnat said...

if i ever go to NYC i'll look for this at this map. But being clear across the country, that doesnt look like its happening any time soon. :(

Anonymous said...

wait did these people go around smelling neighborhoods, how did they do it?

gymnast20 said...

im veeeery aware of how new york city smells in the summer and it sometimes brings out the gag reflex but u gotta love it
part of being a new yorker!

vendetta-zla said...

hmmm............................weird.....................BUT COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Lioness said...

i saw that! sooo col

Thumb Biter said...

DURN why am I in England now??
This is so cool, thanks!

Now I feel like I should do something like this...I've been working on some more graffiti for Oxford but haven't decided where to put them :D

PS: I don't know if I asked before but have you seen the street art on Houston and Bowery? not sure if it's still there.

Peacey said...

Oh, cool! I'm going to print this and save it forever in case I ever happen to be in NYC. :)

brave chickens said...

I know of this map which charts out USAs boring, ok to exciting places.

Anonymous said...

Interesting, but of coarse I have to be stuck in boring Cincinnati! humph.....Where are some of the cool places you guys live?

WillSing said...

wow my school is in chealsea and it does actually smell like that. and Ananka can you mmake a post on school supplies, im being forced into comformity with the school supplies positivily plain and horrible... pretty pretty please with organic cherries on top?

Anonymous said...

SWEEEET........and smelly.