Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Hollywood Goats





If you're a long-time reader of this blog, then you might be aware of my fondness for goats. My family owned three (Bucky, Sophie, and Melissa) when I was growing up, and I found them delightful. Before they all met tragic ends (don't ask), they provided an important service--their insatiable appetites prevented the dreaded kudzu vine from swallowing my house!

Ah, memories. But today I was reading through the LA Times, when I discovered the lovely photo above. It seems one hundred goats have been set loose in downtown Los Angeles, where they act as a cheap, ecologically-friendly landscaping team. If only New York had a herd or two!

Check out more pictures here.

PS: I accidentally deleted some of your comments this morning when I was still half asleep! I'm so sorry! So if you don't see one of your comments, please don't be offended.

16 comments:

KieL said...

Lolz! thats hilarious. why use a lawn mower when you can import goats!? when my family was in SD, my cousin almost got bucked.

Kirsten, you should make an irregular FaceBook page.

nellie said...

Eeee! That's hysterical! (Poor goats of yours.)

Tammie said...

That is is cute! I cant imagine randomly seeing goats.Hmm now i want one awww

missterious said...

Hey! that happened where I live! It was awesome.

Anonymous said...

haha! that is a lolz!

Hazel said...

That's so cool. Apparently you can also use some kinds of turtles, but you lose the petting-zoo factor.

Undiscovered Universe said...

Thats hilarious! I love it!

Kitty said...

SQUEE!!! Goats!! XD lol, I like goats too

Hazel said...

Ananka, I made your blog my homepage. Now you are only one click away!

Kirsten Miller said...

Kiel: I've got a Kiki Strike page. Does that count?

Hazel: I am so honored!

Kiel said...

Kirsten: yah, you're right. there are so many Irregular devoted accounts!

Anonymous said...

In Oakland (CA) it's not uncommon to see goats grazing on the hills, either.

eternal espionage said...

poor Melissa, Bucky, and Sophie!
I absolutely love goats as well! :D

liltomboyblue11;) said...

Oh my gosh! Goat lovers, Unite! I <3 goats, ever since I met my granny's old goat when I was 5. But then again I fall in love with almost all animals.... :) That is really cool, when I was younger there were about 2 months in which I was obsessed with Kudzu. I almost wrote a book about it.... Kudzu is actually very useful once you look over the fact that it take over everything. It can be used as a corn starch substitute, and there a woman who owns a kudzu farm with these goats. She grows it then makes it into baskets. The worst thing though, is that it's almost impossible to kill.

Irregular Kiki said...

I wish all friendly animals would just hang around like that. Why do some people treat animals with no respect? I can't believe what they do to chickens, making them lay more than one egg a day and squashing them in cages where they can't move.
I am totally in love with animals.

SAY NO TO ANIMAL CRUELTY!

liltomboyblue11;) said...

Irregular Kiki: Hello kindred spirit!!!!