Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Twenty Plants That Are Out to Get You





(Above: One of my all-time favorite villains, Poison Ivy.)

Over the past two years, this blog has repeatedly called attention to dangerous and deadly members of the animal kingdom. But I am shocked, chagrined, and ashamed to admit that we've yet to discuss this planet's silent killers: PLANTS.

Just because plants won't give chase doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you. No, they choose to lure you to them with their juicy berries, chewy seeds and pretty blossoms. But the moment you pop a little leaf in your mouth you can find yourself rolling on the floor and begging for mercy.

That's why it's a good thing that purpleslinky.com has made a list of the twenty deadliest plants on earth. You'll be surprised by how many you can find on your grandmother's sun porch (hmmmm) or growing wild in your back yard.

The common houseplant known as Dumbcane will make you lose control of your tongue. Jimson Weed will give you hallucinations before you finally slip into a coma. The berries of the bizarre-looking Doll's Eyes plant (shown below) will put your heart to sleep. And the bulbs of pretty hyacinths will leave you sick to your stomach and gasping for air. (If you survive, that is.)

So know your enemies! Check out the list here.





Also, for those of you who often find yourselves lost in the woods, here's a handy guide that tells you How to Test if a Plant is Edible. Keep in mind--this is for emergencies only!

20 comments:

elizz said...

this is so cool!

WrittenChaos said...

I looked up some of the flower meanings of these plants and it is quite fascinating- "sleep", "caution", etc.

Hazel said...

You haven't totally neglected plants. Remember the cow-eating tree? This is wicked awesome.

Anonymous said...

Those plants were probably some of the ones that put Juliete to sleep (fake death) in Romeo and Juliete because william shakespear probably knew of plants like that and used them in his stories -Nina-

Lady of the Dance said...

heh. poison. fun. thanks for another idea on how to elliminate my siblings. *evil grin*

~Lady of the Dance

liltomboyblue11;) said...

awesome! plants will someday rule the world!!! HA HA HA HA HA! *ahem* please excuse my vegetarian tendancies.

kikistrike96 said...

creeeeeeeeeeeeppppppppppyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Kitty said...

I wonder how those poisonous plants taste... ^^' But I won't wanna try them! XD

Anonymous said...

my f5riend ate one and survived

dangerous said...

that jims8on weed could be handy to keep in a bag or purse.I will definatly be picking up some. and liltomboyblue11: yeah vegitarians! *highfive*

Kirsten Miller said...

Everyone: No poisoning! Use your powers for good--not evil.

phoenix said...

Hmm... May have to work some of this into my book. Or maybe I'll come up with a creative purpose for one of the plants.

phoenix said...

If I remember right, belladonna / nightshade used to be used as a beauty product during the Rennisance. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I know I read that somewhere.

Raph said...

Awww. Pour moi? xD
I love this blog! :)

Anonymous said...

omg my sister saw one of those doll's eye thingies when we were camping a long time ago...but she only saw the eyeball part..so she ran away screaming "dadyy! mommy! i saw a bear eyeball!!"

Anonymous said...

when i was little, i got a rash on my face from rubbing up on the oleander and when my dad told me that the foxglove plant in our yard was poisinous i was afraid to even look at it lol and scary

Poison Pen said...

She's my favorite, too.

Poison Pen said...

Phoenix-Cosmetics were often life endangering in the early ages of beauty products.

6yearsoldandcute said...

that is pretty cool!!!

Anonymous said...

YES! it seems i have stumbled upon a partially vegetarian commenting place! threeway high five! anyway... when i was hiking/camping in canada, i learned this rhyme:
white: don't bite
red: use your head
black: knock 'em back!
this means white berries are almost always poisonous, red is mixed so only eat it if you know what it is, and black/dark blue are almost always okay to eat!
~Caroline~