Saturday, June 28, 2008

My Condition Has Been Diagnosed!





For most of my childhood, I was obsessed with a medical condition that bears the highly descriptive name Black Hairy Tongue. (Those of you who caught the reference in Kiki Strike can rest assured that the disease does, in fact, exist. It's also another REALLY good reason not to start smoking.)

But as of today, I'm fascinated by a new disorder. It's called Uncombable Hair Syndrome. People with this dreaded condition (shown below) literally CANNOT comb their hair. Sometime in late childhood, the hair of otherwise healthy individuals turns lighter--often a pale blonde. As it gradually grows drier, it develops a texture that's been described as "spun glass." (Think Barbie's hair after several years of makeovers.) Eventually, it reaches a stage where no comb can tame it.

To date, the only treatment for Uncombably Hair Syndrome is a baseball hat. So I call upon all of you with an interest in science to search for a cure!

Read more here.


11 comments:

Zodiac girls said...

My hair can get just like that!

Kitty said...

Lol, I thought my hair was bad!

Thumb Biter said...

Gross, I went on the Wikipedia article!
It's actually not hair on the tongue (thankfully). It's really the overgrown, darkened bumps on your tongue (EWW) from smoking too much!
My health teacher told me that anywhere that comes into contact with the cigarette can get cancer - even the insides of your fingers!

Patsee said...

I thought you just made up Black Hairy Tongue. It doesn't sound like a condition that could actually exist.

kikistrike96 said...

once i put soap in a barbies hair. i guess thats what it would be like. i feel bad for those people.

by the way, how many languages does kiki speak?

Zodiac girls said...

OOOH OOH! I got it! what if they soked there heads in condtioner lotion water oil chop it off the keep socking it till it grows back and keep doing that! and funny storie my friend em who is a genios while me sadly can barely spell the word *tehe* she made a hair spray that works great! Ten times more afective! Well only if it is cold.....you see if there is warm weather then when aplied to hair it well melts........Really it does! We tried it on a doll and it melted the hair and we then tried a litle on her dog and some of the hair melted! Theres a funnier story when he CRAZY little bro nearly killeld them all when he put chlorine in the pasta! Or that Em started soooooooo many fires using her gas chamber it was taken away..........now her bro is getting a chem set and well.............where all doomend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bye:) x)

Invisible Turtle said...

Ooh, so if I bleach my hair I'll have a pretend excuse to not brush it!

We saw pictures of Black Hairy Tongue in health, along with lungs that smoked. They were all black and shriveled.

elizz said...

that is SO bogus!

Anonymous said...

Well it works really well if you mix regular shampoo, vinager, and dawn dish soap together to make regular hair very soft and shiny so if you used it on hair like that it might become tameable -Nina-

liltomboyblue11;) said...

ha ha ha! that's awesome! my hair is to oily for that.

Irregular Kiki said...

What if you shave your hair off your head? Would it grow normal again?????