Monday, June 9, 2008

It's Too Hot to Think Crazy





(Photo by the great Weegee.)

How hot was it in New York today? Subway rats battled with sweaty toddlers over the right to swim in the municipal fountains. Pigeon poo patties sizzled on the sidewalks. So many fire hydrants were turned on across Manhattan that people were forced to canoe down Broadway.

I'm barely exaggerating. It's really hot.

Right now, I am sitting in my unairconditioned apartment, hoping I can type fast enough to send out this post before my computer overheats and explodes. So I don't have time for my usual displays of brilliance. Instead, I offer this list of 7 Incredible Natural Phenomena. Somehow, next to the "Everlasting Storm" and "Morocco's Climbing Goats," the first heat wave of 2008 doesn't seem that impressive.

Back tomorrow with more of the bizarre. (And a big thank you to Raph, who nominated Ananka's Diary for the 2008 Blogger Choice Awards!)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your computer :D

you know who i am! said...

what's the tmperature?

i know that in fresno (the land of boredom) it's going to be 100 tomorrow (farenheit, degrees).

right now it's 96 degrees.


yay! i can go swim tomorrow!

sorry about your computer.

maybe you can visit Fresno now? where it's very hot, but, where i have AC--so it's fine insied. and where i have a pool?

sakura said...

well it just rained where I live, so its nice and cool~~
X3

Aninnymouse said...

You are making me feel much better about the temperature here. Seventy two, with fifty percent humidity. I think I'll go biking.

Kitty said...

It's 91 here in NJ. TT-TT BUT THE POOL'S NOT OPEN!!! (only on weekends 'till July... NOOOO)

Kitty said...

You know what?? IT SUCKS TO HAVE LONG HAIR IN HOT WEATHER!!! I put my hair in a pony-tail, and it's still fluttering around my neck. I put it up in a bun, and it falls out seconds later. I braid it, AND IT MAKES ME EVEN HOTTER!! >o< I wanna cut it soo badly.

Kitty said...

95 now...

liltomboyblue11;) said...

hey, kitty!!! i have long hair to!!! on the 20 my family and i are going to visit more family at the jersey shore!!! i can sympathize.... :'( south gets the heat really bad though. it's already been to 105 degrees down here.....

Anonymous said...

it's not insanely hot in IL but the bugs are out and they seerm to find me particularly sweet
does anyone know a cure to stop the itchieness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mk

Me, Myself, and I said...

Where I live it's rainy and in the mid-fifties. And yes, I do live in the continental US.

Kiel the cold, purple ninja said...

You are so lucky! It's the TOTAL opposite here in Vancouver BC. The weather forcaster guy on TV everymorning is like, "Goodmorning everybody! Today is JUNEuary 10. This week and next week is RAIN!"

ss (my hat blew away) chick said...

once again- it just snowed here a couple hours ago. now its just windy windy windy as usual. 0,0 i'm SO bored. i have to go pack.


AHHHHH! TOO WINDY- SUCKED UP BY HUGE DUST DEVIL! +,+