Thursday, January 3, 2008

Shopping in the Twilight Zone





In 2005, a Prada store showed up in the desert outside of Marfa, Texas. It's still there today, though it's never sold a single pair of shoes. It just sits on the side of a lonesome highway, beckoning passersby with its pretty lights and unattainable leather goods.

After a great deal of speculation on the part of the Internet community, the Prada store was revealed to be the work of two German artists, who were clearly making a point about the nature of fashion. Whatever they were trying to say . . . I love it! Imagine driving through the desert at midnight and coming across this bizarre store. How fabulous would that be?

More info and pictures here.


12 comments:

Kitty said...

That is soo cool!!! I really wanna visit that store!!

KuroSignal (Kriteer) said...

That is cool and random!!! Randomness is very good.

udon't need2knowmyname said...

That just made my day. fashion is everywhere, its saying PRADA IS GOOD, SPEND YOUR DINERO HERE...how can you refuse its beckoning call?

Spring said...

I so want to be the first person to buy something from that store!

International Mastermind said...

Hmmm...
Maybe that is saying, "Some people go too far for fashion."

Yeah, I doubt it though. That would be awesome! Are the items as pricey as normal Prada?

Raph said...

That's fantastic! Though I've never heard of Prada before...
IM, I think that might be exactly the point. :)

kafkadreams said...

I wonder if they're actually open for business since it's obvious they're destined to never sell anything :P :)

Claire Maine-inn said...

I would luv to see that I like Prada

Patsee said...

Are there people at the store to actually sell the shoes, etc?

ananka said...

Patsee: No. It's never open for business.

ookamishinzui said...

that is VERY random, but why open it if its never open? I wonder where it is though.

Hazel said...

That is SO WEIRD!