Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Perfect Setting for a Sequel to How to Lead a Life of Crime



I came across this article in the New York Times yesterday. Seems the ritziest neighborhoods in some cities have become veritable ghost towns. (The article focuses on London's Belgravia district, but it's true of parts of Manhattan as well.) Why? Wealthy out-of-towers (Russians, Saudis, Justin Bieber--JK) are buying up all the best addresses--and occupying them only a few weeks a year.

Okay, now stop and imagine the scene. Streets lined with mansions, their windows all dark. A couple of cars driving through, but no one on the sidewalks. Precious art hanging where few ever see it. Jewels in that rarely feel the warmth of human skin. A young man in a well-cut coat appears out of nowhere. He looks as if he might live in the neighborhood. Until he hops a fence, climbs a wall, and pulls himself up onto a second floor balcony--all in a matter of seconds.

Love it.

On a related note, what do you do if you're a London billionaire and you need a little extra living space? You start digging.

12 comments:

Pickles Picasso said...

That IS the perfect setting....

I asked my dad if I could dig and underground room in the backyard.

The answer was no.

Pickles Picasso said...

Are you going to be at the LA Times Festival of Books?

Cleo Li-Schwartz said...

Oh yes, I've heard about this. I think in New York there are a lot of wealthy Chinese businessmen who look at an apartment on Park Avenue, pay all of it at once, and then never live in it. It's a good investment.

42 said...

Well I'm totally ready for this book if you wanna start writing it now, Kirsten.

But I'd also be happy just to explore the place!

(On a side note, how mad to you think our landlord would be if I started "expanding" my room underground?)

Anonymous said...

While thinking of horrible things to happen, it occurred to me that just digging deep in London isn't a good idea. Folks have been burying stuff they don't want found in that town for millenia -- if you're unlucky, you might hit a gas pipeline or cut off electricity to all your neighbors. If you're really unlucky you might rediscover an old epidemic disease.

Robert in San Diego, wondering why I can't display this much imagination at work.

Patsee said...

Ooh, classy criminals. The best kind. I'd read that. =)

EQ said...

Oh, the possibilities...

And I doubt that he'd be the only one with that idea. Suppose two such characters were to run into each other?

Or--that might be a good place to hide for an Irregular on the run.

Tesha'e Keller said...

i went to London.... if that counts!

Brooke said...

I like it.
Wait, IS there going to be a sequel? And if there is, is there any way the Irregulars could be in it? :}

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmmm, are you perhaps hinting at something here?

Daycia McClam said...

Hi, I'm a starting a young adult book club with my kids in my after school program and was wondering if you have any kind of teaching/discussion guide for How To Live A Life of Crime

Kirsten Miller said...

Hi Daycia,

Nothing formal. But send me a note at kikistrike@gmail.com and we can discuss if you'd like!

Kirsten