Thursday, March 28, 2013

No I Did Not Make That Up: Flesh Eating Beetles

(Photo: Kyle McDaniel, The Wisconsin State Journal)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the following sentences may be among the greatest opening lines ever written . . .

Beneath the soil where college students trod each day, there is a chamber that creeps and crawls and writhes. Here, the humid air is sweet with the odor of rotten flesh and thousands of bugs devour once-living animals, piece by piece.

Now that's what I call journalism!

If you've read The Darkness Dwellers then you know there's a scene involving dermestid beetles. These ravenous little creatures can strip the tissue off a carcass in no time. They can also "crawl into cracks and crevasses where human hands cannot reach." Awesome, right?

Hungry for more? Check out this article, which includes photos and a video of the dermestidae in action!

10 comments:

Pickles Picasso said...

Eek! Bugs make me itch and scream.......

This would be a GREAT subject for my taxonomy science project, though!

Pickles Picasso said...

Are there still going to be LOC giveaways/contests? (LOC= Life of Crime)

Tesha'e Keller said...

oh, I was wondering if they were even real...thanks for clearing that up! when betty was in the catacombs with Marcel and the beetles were on her, why didn't they eat her...I found that out when I saw the video!thnxs

42 said...

Oh! They remind me of my sixth grade biology ecosystem project. I had to take care of a lizard and crickets for a month to teach me about the circle of life and whatnot. Though I ended up getting a C because I was unfortunate enough to pick rebellious crickets who ended up attacking, killing, and eating the lizard. On the bright side, I was the only one in the class who managed to break the laws of nature.

Tesha'e Keller said...

42 that's so funny and weird a little but I think you deserved to get at least a B! the "rebellious crickets" was so funny!

42 said...

Tesha'e: Thanks! Wish you were my science teacher! Clearly my project needed to be graded by someone who appreciates inspiring revolution in the animal kingdom! :P

Tesha'e Keller said...

haha i wonder how your other science projects have turned out!

EQ said...

...egad.

I won't say *never* again 'cos that's just asking for trouble...but it could be a while before I stick my hand into small dark crevasses...

Tesha'e Keller said...

EQ: that was to funny!

Anonymous said...

I don't like bugs but some part of me wants to learn so much about them. . . Is that weird?

Gillianne/raven