Saturday, June 12, 2010
Who Knew Dormice Were So Interesting . . . and Delicious?
(Above: Is that HONEY in her hand? What kind of sick, twisted movie IS this?)
Things I already knew about dormice:
1. They're awful cute.
2. The Romans ate them dipped in honey.
Things I learned about dormice from this article:
1. Slovenian legend has it that dormice are herded by the devil himself.
2. Dormouse comes from the Anglo-Norman word for "sleepy one." (Which explains the sleepy dormouse in Alice in Wonderland.)
3. During the time of Queen Elizabeth I, it was believed that consuming dormouse fat could help a person fall asleep.
4. They're delicious cooked in red wine with vegetables. (I'll just have to take his word for it.)