Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Art and the Animal Kingdom





Mixing art and animals can have questionable results. (Think "Dogs Playing Poker" or anything by Damien Hirst.) But sometimes the two come together to create something . . . magical?

Take, for instance, artist Julian Wolkenstein's horsey supermodels (including the beauty shown above). Or the "extreme sheep LED art" in the video below.

But my favorite? THE URBAN BEAST PROJECT. From the website:

Urban Beasts are recycled skins of thrown out stuffed animals taxidermied to create feral relatives. Often displayed in community gardens, abandoned lots and in trees, an Anthology of their stories was developed to illustrate Humans' role as stewards of their environments.

This, in my opinion, is one of the greatest projects in the history of mankind. (Thanks for the tip, Ivy!!)


16 comments:

Kitty said...

The sheepis one... WAS AMAZING!!! OoO I never knew that was possible!!!

Yasmin said...

THAT WAS SOO AMUSING!
thats really cool how they turn old stuffed animals into other animals.
and the sheeeps are so so so cute!!!
to herd sheeps and make it into art is my dream job.

falcon said...

Sheep!! OMY sooo amazing!!

Nina said...

idk if it is on the internet but somewhere between Harlom and the Upper East side there is a building and on the top floors there are manicans sitting on the balcony it is kinda creepy and all of my friends thought that it was a real person at first but its not

Anonymous said...

How do those people have the patience to move those sheep like that????

UU said...

I LOVE THE SHEEP!
I think the Mona Lisa was photoshopped though, but I think everything else was legit.

brave chickens said...

Sheep are nice.
Horse has cheekbones?

Oh, LEDS are so much fun. I blew one, and it was...electrifying.

Patsee said...

It's like My Little Pony.. but worse.

Anonymous said...

hey are there any boys online???? or is this just girls?????

Anonymous said...

wow, yasmin i was just reading your profile and we have a lot in common. i also like slumdog millionaire ( own it) i love sense and sensibility, haven't seen the movie, i like x men and a lot of other there stuff like you. my favorite author is Kristen Miller, but my favorite classic author is Jane Austen! i own Persuasion, and Sense and Sensibility. hey have you seen Pride and Prejudice, the one from 2006 with Keira Knightley in it!!! best movie from that year!!! i can't wait to see X-men Origins!!!!

Anonymous said...

hey i forgot i am a saggitaurus too! i was born Dec.6th

Kiwi said...

- I liked the white horse the best
- lol... nardog
- I had no idea that sheep could do that

WOW!!!!!

Peacey said...

Taxidermy has always greatly distubed me . . . that's why I avoid the entire downstairs of my house. Shudder.

Irregular Kiki said...

That horse is beautiful.

Irregular Kiki said...

THE SHEEP ONE IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO COOOOOOLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

liltomboyblue said...

Doesn't it amuse you when adults fufill the dreams of insane little girls? xP