Sunday, March 26, 2006

Ancient Tunnels Discovered in Israel

While I'm waiting for tonight's adventure to begin, I thought I'd let you know about a thrilling discovery that was recently made on the other side of the world. I should have posted this story earlier, but as you might imagine, I've had a lot on my mind.

Earlier in March, archaeologists uncovered a system of tunnels and igloo-shaped underground chambers near the city of Nazareth in Israel. Apparently, the subterranean village was the work of ancient Jews who were preparing to revolt against Roman rule nearly 2000 years ago. The hidden rooms, which the Jewish rebels built beneath the floors of their own homes, were intended to serve as a refuge from the Roman army.

A much more in-depth account of the discovery can be found here, along with a fascinating picture of a two-headed turtle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow. that's amazing! imagine how many undiscovered tunnels there are in the world.